Starting Chance (8 Well Way, Hout Bay, 7806, Western Cape, South Africa) is an organisation aimed at giving children, parents and teachers from the Mfuleni township a starting chance at life and education.
Starting Chance takes its responsibilities to protect personal information seriously and is obliged to do so in terms of the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act of 2013. It thus encourages all visitors/users/subscribers using and interacting via its online services to read and consider this statement.
The core purpose of Starting Chance’s online presence is to deliver services to our beneficiaries, the pre-schools of Mfuleni, and garner attention to our cause. In doing so, we make use of this website and several other digital platforms.
The website from Starting Chance is hosted by Semantica. More information on this company can be found on their website: https://www.semantica.co.za/.
Starting Chance and Personal Data
- Starting Chance does not sell any form of personal data to third parties
- Starting Chance does not share private data outside its organisation without the consent of the data’s owner (unless it is legally obliged to do so.)
- Due to the use of various online systems highlighted below some visitor/user/subscriber data may be stored beyond the borders of South Africa.
- The data it holds is limited to what is needed to maintain relationships and meet its goals in terms of its programmes and operations.
- Starting Chance has not and will not buy or accept databases of private individuals from third parties. It has built its own databases through personal interactions with those concerned.
We collect personal information for the following reasons:
- When you sign up to online actions or express an interest in joining us as an international member
- When you make a donation to us;
- When you participate in other online campaigns or activities;
- When you apply for a job or volunteering opportunity with us.
For our newsletter, we ask you for your first name, your last name and your email address. By filling these out, Starting Chance assumes you give your consent to send you our newsletters, and potential extra emails concerning other campaigns or activities.
Most options for online donations consist of other platforms. Starting Chance has no control over these (see also ‘Third Party Websites’). Should you make a direct donation to us, we shall not share any extra details known to us with other parties without your consent.
How do we use information collected?
We use your personal information collected via our websites for the following purposes:
- To send newsletters;
- To update you on our campaigns and activities;
- To ask you to donate or get involved in our campaigns;
- To process donations that we receive from you;
- To administer and progress your applications for employment or volunteering opportunities with us;
- To improve our websites;
- To fulfil any legal obligations.
If you sign up for our newsletter, we will process the personal data you provided to put you on our newsletter list.
Starting Chance uses Mailchimp to keep in touch with its audience via email newsletters. Mailchimp has rigorous protocols in place to protect users’ data – you can read more about this here https://mailchimp.com/about/security/ . Mailchimp is based in the USA and as such our newsletters subscribers contact information may be held beyond the borders of South Africa.
Some analytics data is visible to us and this includes information on your approximate location, type of device used, browser used, newsletters opened, and links clicked. More detail on this can be viewed here: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/
A subscriber’s email address, name and other contact details may be added to the newsletter mailing list if an individual has subscribed themselves, or has asked us to add their details to receive Starting Chance’s newsletter, or if the individual has had meaningful interactions with Starting Chance in the past and expressed interest in keeping in touch.
Should any subscriber wish to update their details or unsubscribe from Starting Chance’s newsletters there is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every newsletter. Alternatively, if an individual would like to us to update or remove their details manually Starting Chance can do so.
There is an unsubscribe options in the newsletter for this goal. Additionally, you can email [email protected] to request removal of your data.
If you donate to us, we will process the personal data you provided to process that donation.
We will process your personal information to fulfil any legal obligations placed upon us, such as the prevention of fraud or money-laundering. We will also process your personal information if lawfully required to do so by a legal authority or a court of law.
For newsletters and applications, it is necessary for us to process certain information is necessary for employment purposes.
We take appropriate security measures to ensure that we keep your information secure, accurate and up to date. We also take care to ensure that we have secure systems for processing payments through our payment services provider. However, the transmission of information over the Internet is never completely secure, so while we do our best to protect personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to our websites.
Third Party Websites
The fundraising platforms Starting Chance uses are:
Websites for Payment Processing Services which Starting Chance uses are:
The social platforms Starting Chance is associated with are:
Business functions (G-Suite)
Starting Chance uses the G-suite of applications for certain business processes including communications e.g. email, data processing and storage. Starting Chance’s accounts are secured through strong password protection. If Starting Chance interacts with an individual via electronic mediums, the data the individual has chosen to share with Starting Chance will be stored on its systems unless the individual specifically requests deletion of confidential data (and if Starting Chance is legally able to delete the data.)
As mentioned above, every online service Starting Chance uses, has its own independent policies governing their use. Starting Chance cannot be held responsible for these websites conduct and/or collection and use of analytics data. If a visitor/user/subscriber has privacy and/or security concerns they can choose to:
- Avoid visiting the above sites altogether
- Installing an internet security product that limits tracking
- Browsing in an “in private” or “incognito” mode in your browser
Additionally, there are a large number of resources available online to educate users on how to browse the web responsibly. Starting Chance encourages individuals using online services to read up and become well educated on privacy matters. There is a wealth of information that can be found online in this regard.